Saturday, February 7, 2009

Winter Fare - WOW!

I just got back from Winter Fare, and all I can say is, if you happen to be reading this before it closes at 2pm on Saturday and you have not yet been over there, drop whatever you are doing and go right now!

I came home with three kinds of potatoes, sweet potatoes, arugula, kale, salad greens, onions, squash, carrots, eggs, wheat, and maple syrup. And the only reason I stopped there was that I was on foot with Nate in the stroller and ran out of room to carry it all (should have brought the car!). There was an absolutely incredible array of fresh produce, all grown by local farmers. Red Fire Farm had the biggest set-up, with box after box of all different kinds of greens, roots, squash, and more. It was the first one I saw when I walked in and it just about blew my mind--especially the greens. There was also meat from three or four different vendors, honey and maple products, herbs, apples, seed, jam and pickles, baked goods...amazing.

AND the place was packed, right from the moment it opened at 10:00 and getting busier as the morning went on. Clearly there is a real hunger for local produce right on through the winter. I keep hoping that one of these years Greenfield will have a real winter farmers market, open bi-weekly or monthly.

Now I am going to sit back and happily ponder what to cook this week with this wonderful bounty! Maybe I'll start by grinding some of that wheat and making bread.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew about this event before it happened - it sounds fantastic. Hope there's another one soon!
:-) Diana