Sunday, May 23, 2010

Goat Meat

New discovery at the Greenfield Farmers Market yesterday: goat meat. It's for sale by Balky Farm (in Northfield), which also sells lamb and, or perhaps I should say primarily, yarn and wool products. Goat is not something I have seen for sale locally before now. It's not widely eaten in the U.S., except among some immigrant communities. My only personal experience with it was many years ago as an exchange student in Ecuador. And to tell the truth, I can't recall the precise flavor - I just remember liking it. So I think next week I'll pick some up, and in the meantime, I'll explore recipe options. Goat is fairly commonly used in Indian cuisine, as well as Caribbean and Latin America dishes. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my part of the world, goat is frowned upon by those who have never eaten it.

In Queensland, Australia, Goats are mostly feral so it is a good thing to eat goat. Capretta (goat) chops hmmm!

When I recommend it to people I describe it as non-fatty lamb.