Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Freezing and Drying

Tomorrow we're taking delivery of a chest freezer, into which I am planning to put as much as I can from the garden and the farmers market between now and October. I have already got the little freezer that's part of the fridge completely stuffed, mostly with tomatoes so far, but also some of those tasty Romano beans and some of that corn from Schmidt's. The corn and beans have to be blanched first (easy enough), but the tomatoes can go in raw. Just core and remove any bad spots. When you take them out to cook with, run them quickly under warm water and the skins should come right off. I have been loading up quart sized freezer bags with brightly colored tomatoes (whole for the smaller ones, chunks for the really big ones) and the sight of them in there is making me very happy. Once the freezer is in place, we're going to go over to Clarkdale and get a nice big load of peaches to freeze as well. They will be most welcome in midwinter.

I've also started drying tomatoes. I have a dehydrator that will take quite a large batch at once, so I'm experimenting with drying times and results for different varieties. Results are good so far. It should be easy to dry enough of our own to keep me supplied for my typical dried tomato usage until the fresh ones are ready again next summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am in the process of filling our freezer with peaches also! We already have 4 huge bags of blueberries, yum. It gives me something to look forward to this winter! I like your tip about freezing tomatoes, I never knew that. And I am also looking to buy a chest freezer for when my freezer is a maximum capacity.