Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Visit to Brattleboro Winter Farmers Market

This past Saturday we made a trip up to Brattleboro to check out the winter farmers market. We came away with delicata squash, potatoes, maple smoked Gouda cheese, ground lamb, and some jam. There were also apples and apple products, grass-fed beef in addition to the lamb, free range chickens (expensive, though, at $3.80 a lb for a whole bird, so we didn't get one), maple products, bread, pastries, and crafts. I have to admit, though, that I was disappointed not to find more produce. I know it's January, but I was hoping there would be a bit more in the way of storage crops or maybe even hoop house-grown greens. Maybe by next month. I am hopeful that there will be some of those to be found at Winter Fare on Feb. 7. I always enjoy a trip to Brattleboro, but I don't think it will be worth going to the market every two weeks--there just wasn't that much there that isn't still available closer to home.

No comments: