Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Local Lamb

Time to rave about local lamb again! My parents came over for Mothers Day and I roasted a leg of lamb from Crabapple Farm that was in the freezer. Normally I do a brunch for Mothers Day, but this lamb had been in there since the fall and I figured that pretty soon it will be too hot to roast much of anything. I kept the preparation simple, just rubbing the meat with the same rosemary-garlic paste that I used on lamb chops several weeks ago and making some slits with a thin knife so I could push some of the paste right into the meat. Then I roasted it at 375 degrees for about an hour and 15 minutes, turning it over twice, though in retrospect a little less time would have been good (I think maybe this leg was a little on the small side). It came out on the medium-to-well-done side of things rather than medium rare, which is my preference, but it was still juicy and delicious.

Crabapple Farm is a regular vendor at the Greenfield Farmers Market, where they also sell grass-fed beef, eggs, vegetables, and starts.

I also noticed this weekend that Green Fields Market has begun carrying local lamb from Leyden Glen Farm (in, you guessed it, Leyden). They had ground lamb to start with and said that stew lamb would be coming soon. This is great news if you are not able to get the farmers market regularly. Check out this blog post from one of the farmers to learn more about their venture into retail meat sales.

No comments: