Friday, January 29, 2010

Pesto Pizza with Egg on Top

I had a crepe kind of like this a few years ago on a trip to Southern France - the crepe came with Camembert instead of mozzarella, which is what I would have done if local Camembert were to be had this time of year. The pesto came out of my freezer, and I reveled in every bite. We haven't had any basil pesto in a while and I always forget exactly how much I love it.


1 14-inch pizza crust (whole wheat is nice)
olive oil
1/2 cup basil pesto
2-3 oz. mozzarella, in small chunks
3-4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Paint the crust lightly with olive oil, then spread the pesto over it. Dot with the chunks of mozzarella. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Remove pizza from oven and carefully crack the eggs over the top, evenly distributed. Even more carefully, put the pizza back back in the oven and bake for another 3-5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked; the whites should be set but the yolks should still be quite gooey.

Serves 3-4.

No comments: