Sunday, June 27, 2010

Local Chicken

Yesterday I went to the Greenfield Farmers Market for the first time in a couple weeks - missed two in a row while we were away. There were some great new vendors this week! Of particular note was Turkey Brook Farm of Brimfield, a chicken producer! I spoke with Ron Morin, one of the owners, who described to me their French style production, which involves letting the chickens forage in the woods and growing the birds to larger sizes (5-7 pounds) than typically found at the grocery store. Ron told me they had a harvest planned for the week and that they would be back next week with birds available. The farm also takes orders over the web. He informed me that a second poultry vendor was also going to be at the market, probably on alternating weeks. The birds are pricey compared to conventional fare, but then so is all the other sustainably produced local meat that we get. It's worth it!

No comments: