Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pizza with Fresh Basil and Scapes

The basil is starting to flourish in the garden and scapes are everywhere - though I've just about finished off the ones from our own garlic. This pizza is utterly simple and utterly delicious. If you like, substitute fresh mozzarella for the regular stuff - just bake the pizza for about 12 minutes, pull it out and add the fresh mozzarella, then bake for another few minutes.

1 14-inch pizza crust
olive oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup fresh basil leaves (or to taste)
1/2 - 1 cup finely chopped scapes
3 oz. shredded mozzarella

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Lightly paint the crust with olive oil, then spread with the tomato sauce. Cover with the basil leaves and scapes, then top with mozzarella. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until crust is done and cheese begins to brown.

Serves 3-4.

1 comment:

Shaheen said...

HI there,
I've only just found your blog. I try my ustmost to eat locally and whats in season too.

I know your blog is primarily about eating local food in Western Massachusetts, but i hope you don't mind me cooking some of the recipes as they sound really and appeal to me tastebuds.

Kind wishes.