Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thai Corn Chowder

Sometimes I have to try a recipe just to satisfy my own curiosity. This one I have been playing with in my mind since last summer and finally got around to just making it. Fortunately, the result was good enough to share. As I've commented here before, I love corn chowder and make it often through the summer and fall, but I just can't resist different variations.

1-2 Tbsp canola oil
2 shallots, minced
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cubed
Chicken/veggie stock and/or water
1/4 - 1/2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
3 cups roasted corn (grilled corn would also work well)
1 14-oz can coconut milk (lite is fine)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped Thai basil
1-2 tsp lime juice

Heat the canola oil in a soup pot. Add the shallots and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, then enough stock and/or water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are tender.

When the potatoes are tender, add the fish sauce (if using), corn, and coconut milk. Add additional water if needed. Stir well, and heat through, then add salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add the Thai basil and lime juice.

Serves 4-6.

No comments: