Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Freezing Dill

Fresh dill freezes beautifully and easily and the end product is of great quality. I like to keep some in my freezer all winter if I can. Some people like to freeze it in ice cube trays covered with water or olive oil; this works fine but I find that for dill it's not necessary and I can just pack it loosely in freezer bags. This technique also works great for parsley. (For basil and cilantro, I suggest the ice tray method.)

1. Start with good fresh dill. Weed out any shriveled or yellow bits.



2. Chop the dill leaves and tender stems pretty finely.


3. Pack into freezer bags. Don't stuff them. You want to fill smallish bags loosely, with the dill fairly flat and spread out. This is key to being able to shake some out or break off a bit when you want to cook with it.


No comments: