Sunday, September 27, 2015

Home Grown Hot Sauce

I had a pound of ripe red jalapenos that needed using. In the past I've pickled them (yum!), fire roasted them, and used them in salsa, but I had never tried making my own hot sauce. This came out pretty good. You can use whatever type of chilies you like; the heat of the sauce will be entirely dependent on the heat of the chilies you use. If a quart of hot sauce sounds like too much, or you have fewer chilies available, feel free to halve or even quarter the recipe.


1 lb ripe (red) jalapenos, stemmed and seeded
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 medium-large garlic cloves
1 Tbsp salt

Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend at increasing speed until completely pureed. I have a pretty high powered blender and I found that after the pureeing process the hot sauce was pretty foamy from all the air that had been whipped into it. Just let it sit, stirring occasionally, until the foam settles. Store in sealed container (s) in the fridge or freezer. I used pint jars, putting 3 in the freezer for later and one in the fridge for now.

Foamy hot sauce after blending

Makes about 1 quart.

No comments: