Tuesday, April 21, 2009

California Dreaming

I just got back from ten days in California, a combination of business and vacation. Sunday, we went with friends to the farmers market at the Marin Civic Center (in San Rafael, just north of San Francisco in Marin County), and I have to admit to feeling a bit of envy for our friends out there who are able to eat an amazing array of locally grown food all year round with little extra effort. Farmers markets and CSAs go year-round, and all those crops we grow in spring and fall out here are winter crops in Northern California. My husband and I lived in Berkeley for five years and got a CSA box for much of that time. Even in January and February it was filled with an incredible variety of foods.

On the other hand, living out here and eating locally I find that I have a greater appreciation for each food in its season and I like the cycle of each year that is so much stronger here in the Northeast. Maybe it's just proof that I really am a New Englander, but I also kind of like the culinary challenge. Speaking of which, I have huge, flourishing clump of chives in the garden begging to be used for something.

No comments: