Friday, June 19, 2009

Parsley-Mint Pesto with Scapes

Scape season is short, short, short, so enjoy them while you can get them.

Some folks like to let their herbs grow huge and then make giant batches of pesto at the end of the season to go in the freezer. I find it easier to make it as I go along, with a little extra from each batch to get stored away. I freeze pesto in quart-size freezer bags, spread out flat for fast thawing. I store in amounts that I will want at a single shot--1 cup for 1 lb of pasta, or 1/2 cup for a pizza.

3 oz scapes (about 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped)
2 cups parsley
1 - 1 1/2 cups mint leaves
2-3 oz feta
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
1 tsp lemon juice
olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine scapes, parsley, mint, feta, nuts (if using) and lemon juice in a food process and process until fairly smooth. Add olive oil to reach desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

No comments: