Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tomato Leek Quiche with Tarragon

I've seen lots of big, fat leeks at the farmers market, and I have a good crop of slender ones in my garden. Plus tomatoes, of course! I used tarragon as the seasoning here just for something different from my usual, but I think this would work with a variety of herbs - basil, oregano, sage, thyme, etc.

1 9-inch pastry shell
2 oz. shredded mozzarella (optional)
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup sliced leeks (about 2 fat ones or 4 slender)
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup whole milk (1% or 2% okay but not as good)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prick the pastry shell all over with a fork and pre-bake for about 10 minutes. If using homemade, line with aluminum foil and some pie weights.

Spread the mozzarella in the bottom of the pre-baked pie shell. Spread the tomatoes and leeks on top, and sprinkle with tarragon.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and milk and add salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables in the pie shell.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until eggs are cooked through.

Serves 3-4.

No comments: