Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Simple Corn Chowder with Sage

I made this Saturday night with some of the last fresh corn of the season and sage from my garden. I always think of sage as a seasoning for cooler weather, perhaps in part because it withstands the cold outdoors until early winter. But here it makes for sort of a bridge between the seasons--a warming soup for a cool evening, made with the last of summer's corn.

2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs new potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup white flour
5 cups corn kernels (from around 6 ears; scrape the cobs to get all the juice)
2 cups whole milk
2-3 Tbsp minced fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot. At the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the potatoes. Saute for another few minutes, then add the flour and stir to form a roux. Continue to cook over reduced heat for a couple minutes, stirring frequently, then add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Stir to blend the roux into the liquid, then partially cover and cook over medium-high heat until potatoes are tender (15 minutes or so).

When the potatoes are tender, add the corn cook another few minutes. Add the milk, sage, salt, and pepper and remove from heat.

Serves 4-6.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I'm always looking to use my CSA bounty in new ways. I searched for cornbread recipes that used fresh corn and found this site. Then I found the chowder recipe here, too.

I tried the cornbread on Saturday (10/3) and the corn chowder on Sunday (10/4). Both are excellent and easy. For the soup, I used skim milk and some fat-free half and half (don't usually have whole milk in the house) and it came out very well.

Thanks for posting this recipe and others on the site. I'll be checking back for some squash recipes (hint, hint).