Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pureed Sweet Potato Squash Soup

This is adapted from a recipe that appeared in the New York Times a month or so ago. The original called for a regular potato in addition to the sweet potatoes; I didn't have any potatoes, so I skipped it, and didn't miss it in the end product. This is a gorgeous, bright orange soup, smooth and rich tasting. I served it with popovers.


1 Tbsp canola or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 medium butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
Water or stock (chicken or veggie)

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and saute over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and saute another minute or so. Add the squash and sweet potatoes and enough water or stock to cover them. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender (about 20-25 minutes).

When the vegetables are tender, puree the soup with an immersion blender (or do it in batches in a regular blender or food processor).

Serves about 6.

Variations: I haven't tried it yet, but I bet carrots would also work beautifully in this soup in place of the squash. Or maybe even in place of both the squash and sweet potato. Also, you could add silken tofu for some additional protein.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking I needed to use some leftover parsnips and carrots and and wondered if they would work with this soup, since I have two GIANT sweet potatoes waiting to be used - and then I saw your note on the variation! I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Unknown said...

As expected, it was delicious! Sweet and creamy. I didn't have fresh ginger on hand, so I used an indeterminate amount of ground ginger and it seems to have worked just fine!