Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sweet Potato Pone

This recipe is a longstanding holiday tradition in my family. My mom started making it during a brief period living in the south when I was toddler. Now my sister and I share it with friends and in-laws, and it's always a hit. The optional pecans are my sister's contribution.

2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
10 or so pecan halves (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with a cover.

Mash the sweet potatoes with the melted butter.

In a medium bowl, beat two eggs. Add brown sugar and thoroughly combine. Stir in the milk, molasses, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add sweet potatoes and stir until well blended.

Turn the mixture into the casserole dish. If desired, top with pecan halves. Bake, covered, for 50-60 minutes. Serve hot.

Serves 6-8.

No comments: